Friday, June 18, 2010

Heidi



The quilt reads, "Heidi, made with love. Mom, '97." A beautiful quilt in my favorite color that you gave me before college. I remember having all my friends come into my dorm room and commenting on what a cool bed cover it was. They thought it was so unique and simply credited my being from California for my cool style. Wonderment was the primary response when I told them that my mom had made it for me.
Mom, I am so blessed to have you as my mother. You are always watching out for me, listening to everything I say and offering good, sound advice. Feeding me fabulous dinners.
My hardest but favorite memory of you was actually when you were at City of Hope. I even remember writing about it in high school. Dad had brought all of us to see you but we had to stay outside your room since you were in isolation. I remember seeing dad put on what I thought looked like a space suit at the time. I was playing with Courtney and simply waiting for dad. Then, you appeared at the door. You did not look like yourself and I remember being scared at first, but then you smiled. Your amazing smile, and I saw my mother.
I think of that moment often, even now. It reminds me of your strength and your amazing example. You never complained, not to me. I never heard you moan about how unfair your life was, why did you have to be the one to get sick. You simply put your head down and persevered. And you did it for your family.
You are an impressive woman. I look at you as my mother. As my example of how I would like to be. But you are so much more then that. you are a loving and very patient wife. You are a wonderful friend. You are a strong woman. You are Wendy.
I love you mom
Happy Birthday

Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment